Saturday, May 19, 2007

if I was a bird I would be high all the time

Today I saw several cardinals with a blue jay in pursuit. They flew from branch to branch with the cardinals always taking off together and the blue jay lagging behind. It was as if the blue jay was in an endless pursuit. Always trying to be a cardinal, but trapped in the body of a blue jay. The poor bird would make it to the next branch just as the cardinals were leaving, them always maintaining their synchronized flights.

Then I became distracted by another blue jay that had caught something in its mouth. It was green and in the bird's mouth looked like delicious nourishment. It zipped across my field of vision just barely allowing its catch to be visible. It must've been a grasshopper, but I am not certain. I know it had a single long leg sticking out of the corner of the beak. In a moment the bird disappeared into a tree and though I saw more blue jays, I couldn't be sure I saw that particular champion again.

A chipmunk found its way in my bushes though and let me watch him nibble at little tree helicopters. It seemed disappointed with it, but I picked up a few and decided to try the little green center, well protected from the elements by its little ridged husk. The poor little tree child was not quite flavorful, but seemed like a nice little snack to go with my sun dried tomatoes, so I picked up a hand-full and devoured a few more.

Just as my snack ended, I spied a little bunny rabbit making its way on to my back porch. He hopped about a bit and I stayed very still. He made his way a bit closer to me before I budged a bit and scared the poor fella away.

We are not I though you see. I saw the birds, and you saw them with your mind. We are all connected.

No comments: